It is a capital mistake to
theorise before one has data.
How often have I said to you that when
you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable,
must be the truth?
These are the bare facts about Kibbutz Reshafim in the year 2010:
- Reshafim lies in the Valley of Beit Shean, a few kilometers to the south of that town
- The kibbutz was founded in 1944 at Kiriat Haim and erected in Ashrafieh in 1948.
- About 420 people live on the kibbutz, many of the older generations originally from European countries, but a considerable number from around the Mediterranean and South America, a true kibbutz galuiot, a gathering of the diaspora. The members below sixty are mostly Israeli born.
- Practically all inhabitants are not religious and the kibbutz does not provide religious services.
- It is a so-called "renewed" kibbutz, where practically everything but the agricultural land and the means of production have been privatized. To all intents and purposes Reshafim is a moshav shitufi nowadays.
But these facts are not enough to understand the people and their community. Further probing is needed and these are the questions
an investigator has to find answers to: